Wednesday, July 25, 2012

My leg workout


Hi.

Just wanted to share my newest leg workout with you guys. This workout suits me perfectly at the moment, because it challenges me, every time! Some of the guys at the gym look a little worried when they see me jumping around like a maniac, but you know what? It's totally worth it. I'll be doing another InBody-measuring on myself on Friday morning, so I need to be focused.

I keep myself motivated by doing a body composition analysis every two to three weeks. It keeps me focused on my goals (which I'm still far from) and working really hard. I need to see some change every time!

One major thing in my process is changing my workouts regularly. I grow easily tired of the same workout routines, and I need a challengein every workout. I do legs twice a week (sometimes three times a week), always keeping 48 hours between leg workouts to let the muscles recover. My leg workout consists of supersets/circuit training. I use heavy enough weights to allow me the desired amount of reps with good form. Never compromise good form for heavier weights!

Ok, so this is a long workout - it takes about an hour to complete this, with short water breaks. I can't stress this enough, this is not a beginner workout! I've been going to the gym regularly for quite a few years now, and this is the most challenging workout I've done so far. I wanted to share this to give you ideas for your own workouts. In case you've been gymmin' away for a few years, try this out. Start off with 2-3 sets of 12-15 reps, resting 30 secs between sets. Work your way towards heavier weights as you get used to the movements, minimizing rests between sets.


Start off with a 10 minute warmup on the stairmaster/treadmill/stationary bike/cardio machine of your choice.

A1 3-4 sets, 8 reps Sumo squat with barbell across shoulders*
A2 3-4 sets, 15 reps V-ups on a bench*
A3 3-4 sets, 30-45 seconds Bench jumps

B1 3-4 sets, 8 reps Lunge with the back leg on a bench, barbell across shoulders*
B2 3-4 sets, 1 minute Side plank with pulse*
B3 3-4 sets, 45-60 seconds Jumping jacks

C1 3-4 sets, 8 reps Deadlift*
C2 3-4 sets, 10 reps Cable glute kickback

D1 3-4 sets, 15 reps Incline reverse abdominal crunch*
D2 3-4 sets, 30 seconds Burpee
D3 3-4 sets, 10 reps Seated hip adduction



Sumo squat
Get Ready: Stand with your feet wide, toes and knees pointed slightly out. Set a barbell across your shoulders, resting on the muscles (not pressing on the spine!). Brace your abdominal muscles.
Go: Squat down, keeping your back straight, bending only at the waist and knees. Push through your heels to standing position. Slowly lower yourself back into a squat and repeat.

V-ups on a bench
Get ready: Sit in the middle of a bench with your knees and feet together. Grasp the back of the bench and lean backward, making sure your shoulders are pulled back. 
Go: Lift your knees toward your chest and then extend them back out. Make sure to use your arms to support your body and maintain balance.

Lunge
Get ready: Stand with your feet hip-width apart, holding a barbell across the shoulders. Make sure the barbell is resting on the muscles of your upper back. Always keep your back straight, chest out and shoulders back.
Go: Step forward with one foot. Slowly descend toward floor, allowing your knees to bend. The idea is to make sure that the thigh behind you is perpendicular to the ground while your leading thigh ends in a parallel position. Do not allow your knee to touch the floor. Push back up to starting position through the heels. Repeat with same leg for desired reps. Beginners can begin with no weight and arms crossed at chest.

Side planks
Lie on your side and support your body between your forearm and knees. Hold your spine in a neutral position (normal curves)— avoid letting your back sag during the exercise. Do this exercise on your left and right sides. Try to hold the plank position for as long as possible, starting with 15 seconds. As you increase fitness, support your weight between your forearm and feet and add a pulse, lifting and lowering your hips during the exercise.

Deadlift
Get Ready: Using a weighted bar or dumbbells, stand with your feet about hip-width apart. Keeping your knees slightly bent but locked throughout the exercise. Hold the bar in front of you with your hands about shoulder-width apart. Engage the core the whole time!
Go: Keeping your back straight, head up and chest out, slowly lower the bar, bending only at the hips. You should feel a stretch in your hamstrings and glutes. Squeeze your glutes to help raise your body back into start position. Repeat.


Incline reverse abdominal crunch 
Get ready: Lie on decline bench. Grasp bench behind your head for stability. 
Go: Raise legs to sky and extend fully, pulling your hips off the bench. Slowly lower to starting position and continue for desired reps.

Let me know what you think, I love hearing from you guys!

/Ulrika

No comments:

Post a Comment