Friday, July 20, 2012

Clean eating: Smoothie (part 1)

I'm now introducing one of my favourite morning smoothies. I first started making this one to soothe my tummy aches during my periods (sorry for the excess info!), and it worked. The fats from the coconut milk are polyunsaturated ("good fats"), the fibers aid your digestion and the berries are packed with antioxidants! It tastes really good, too: almost like strawberry ice cream! What's not to love?


Clean eating strawberry and coconut milk smoothie (serves 4)

1 can organic coconut milk
2-3 dl water
2-3 dl frozen strawberries
1-2 tbsp psyllium or other fiber source
If you need additional sweetener, try using a banana or a few pieces of mango. (or stevia, if you need something really sweet)

Here comes the easy part: place everything in a blender and blend until smooth.


Tip #1: try making this smoothie with different berries and fruits. If you're not that into sweet flavors, try making this with lingonberries or cranberries - the coconut milk has a soft texture and it brings the tastes really well together. Experiment with different berries and spices. I really love the combination of coconut milk, raspberries and cinnamon!
Tip #2: This is one of my "cheat meals", in case I get cravings. I always store cans of coconut milk and frozen berries at home. Use this smoothie as a compromise, in case you crave for ice cream or something sweet. My hubby doesn't really fancy my smoothies, so I often freeze the leftovers. This smoothie sure makes a delicious popsicle ;) (I bet kids love it too!)
Tip #3: For a less-fat version, replace half of the coconut milk with natural low-fat yogurt.

Hope you enjoy this one as much as I did.

Love,
Ulrika

1 comment:

  1. Oi nam, kuulostaa mielettömän hyvältä smoothielta - sitä parempaa herkkua ei olekaan :) ♥

    ReplyDelete